October 2023 Legal Updates
If you’re an existing ComplianceHR client, you can access these updates and robust links to learn more about each of these changes through the PolicySmart™ solution.
The below list contains October 2023 Legal Updates, which have been added to the PolicySmart solution in the last month. To view developments taking effect this month, click here.
- New Arkansas Law Prohibits State and Local Government from Mandating COVID-19 Vaccine
- California Clarifies Restrictions on Noncompetes
- California Amends Fast Food Accountability and Standards Recovery Act
- Governor Signs Amendments to Expand, and Better Align, Paid Sick Leave Requirements Throughout California–Policy Update Forthcoming
- California Enacts Nation’s First General Industry Workplace Violence Prevention Safety Requirements for Employers
- California Amends Law Regulating Licensure to Carry Concealed Firearms
- California Removes Hotel Exception from Law on Smoking
- Delaware Passes Personal Data Privacy Act
- Minnesota Removes Employee Hours Eligibility Requirement from School Activities Leave Law–Includes Updated Policy
- Missouri Passes Law Prohibiting Handheld Cell Phone Use While Driving–Includes New Policy
- New Jersey Amends Final Rule on Family Leave Insurance Benefits–Includes Updated Policy
- New York Enacts New Law Prohibiting Employers from Requesting or Requiring Access to Certain Employee Online Accounts
- New York Law Requires Written Notice of Unemployment Benefits
- New York Enacts Ban on Certain Employer-Sponsored Meetings–Includes Notice/Posting Requirement
- New York Increases Salary Threshold for Eligibility for White Collar Worker Exemption
- New York City Amends Safe and Sick Time Regulations–Policy Updates Forthcoming
- New York Enacts New Law on Invention Assignment Agreements
- Oregon Issues Temporary Family Leave Rules on Attestation of Familial Relationship
- Texas District Court Declares State Preemption Law Unconstitutional
Developments Taking Effect This Month
To help keep you on track, below is a reminder of previously enacted laws taking effect in October 2023.
- California Amends Regulations Governing Criminal History Inquiries (effective 10/01/23)
- Connecticut Expands Paid Sick and Safe Leave Uses–Now Includes Updated Policy (effective 10/01/23)
- New Connecticut Law Creates Special Enrollment Period Following a Labor Dispute (effective 10/01/23)
- Maryland Amends Law on Noncompetition Agreements (effective 10/01/23)
- New Maryland Law Imposes Limits on Carrying Weapons on Private Property (effective 10/01/23)
- Montana Adopts New Law Defining “Sex,” Including for Purposes of Employment-Related Laws (effective 10/01/23)
- Montana Amends Law on Independent Contractor Exemption Certificates (effective 10/01/23)
- Montana Amends Workers Compensation Act, Changing Ownership Exemption Provision (effective 10/01/23)
- Montana Creates Protections for Employees’ Expression on Personal Social Media Accounts (effective 10/01/23)
- Montana Enacts New Law Requiring Health Care Employers to Create and Maintain Certain Reports Regarding Acts of Violence Against Employees (effective 10/01/23)
- Nevada Enacts New Law Regulating Earned Wage Access Providers (effective 10/01/23)
- New Jersey Establishes Employment Protections for Service Employees During Changes in Business Ownership (effective 10/23/23)
- New York City Amends Safe and Sick Time Regulations–Policy Updates Forthcoming (effective 10/15/23)
- Utah Amends Background Check Law on Juvenile Delinquency Records (effective 10/01/23)
ComplianceHR offers the only on-demand, intelligent suite of compliance applications focused on helping companies address the ever-changing federal and state employment law requirements on minimum wage, overtime, independent contracting, and more.
We provide employers of all industries, sizes, and locations with solutions that empower employers to handle complex compliance issues with less time, cost, and complexity than traditional methods. The Navigator Suite simplifies employment law compliance, allowing you to streamline your compliance workflow in only a few simple clicks.
If you are not an existing client, we welcome you to register for a no obligation consultation with a compliance expert. After you’ve met with our compliance consultant, you can receive a free, 14-day trial to use all of the Navigator Suite applications. Register for a demonstration.