May Legal Updates
If you’re an existing ComplianceHR client, you can access these updates and robust links to learn more about each of these changes through the PolicySmart™ solution.
The below list contains May Legal Updates, which have been added to the PolicySmart solution in the last month. To view developments taking effect this month, click here.
- OSHA and DOL Issue Final Rule on Procedures for Handling Retaliation Claims Under Taxpayer First Act
- Los Angeles, California Passes Fair Workweek Ordinance Applicable to Retailers–Now Includes Sample Policy
- California Issues CPRA Regulations
- New San Francisco Law Requires Supplemental Compensation During Military Leave–Now Includes Sample Policy
- Los Angeles Enacts Freelance Worker Protections Ordinance
- California Regulations Updated to Reflect New Agency Name and Recent Amendments to California Laws
- Colorado Requires Employers to Provide Notice of Available Tax Credits
- Colorado Amends Paid Family Leave Law
- Colorado Passes Rules Implementing Privacy Act
- Florida Allows Permitless Concealed Carry and Amends Employment-Related Provisions Accordingly
- Idaho Prohibits COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates
- Illinois Passes New Law Requiring Paid Leave–New Policy Forthcoming
- Iowa Passes Consumer Data Protection Law
- Kentucky Legalizes Medicinal Use of Cannabis
- Michigan Repeals Right-to-Work
- Michigan Adds Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Gender Expression as Protected Categories–Includes Updated Policy
- New Mexico Passes Reproductive and Gender-Affirming Health Care Freedom Act
- New Mexico Amends Human Rights Act to Add Gender and Gender Identity as Protected Characteristics–Includes Updated Policy
- New York Passes Law on COVID-19 Vaccine Confidentiality
- North Dakota Expands Definition of Pregnancy for Pregnancy Accommodation Requirements–Includes Updated Policy
- Ohio Amends Law on Crime Victim Leave — Now Includes Updated Policy
- Oregon Suspends COVID-19-Related Rules
- Oregon Issues Final Paid Family and Medical Leave Rule on Employer Size
- South Dakota Amends Law on Electronic Delivery of Health Insurance Plan Documents
- Utah Enacts Law Restricting Use of Vaccination or Immunity Status in Employment Decisions
- Utah Amends Law on Veterans Hiring Preference
- Utah Enacts Law Allowing Employers to Obtain Workplace Violence Protective Orders
- New Utah Law Allows Portable Benefit Plans
- Utah Amends Background Check Law on Juvenile Delinquency Records
- Virginia Provides Employees with Certain Tort Liability Immunity
- Virginia Amends Law on Nondisclosure, Nondisparagement and Confidentiality Provisions in Agreements
- New Virginia Law Prohibits Employer Use of Social Security Numbers
- West Virginia Amends Law on Use of Mobile Devices While Driving–Includes Updated Policy
- West Virginia Amends Workers Compensation Law, Addressing Reinstatement
- Wyoming Passes Law Prohibiting Most Abortions
Developments Taking Effect This Month
To help keep you on track, below is a reminder of previously enacted laws taking effect in May 2023.
- New Utah Law Allows Portable Benefit Plans (effective 05/03/23)
- Utah Amends Law on Veterans Hiring Preference (effective 05/03/23)
- Utah Enacts Law Restricting Use of Vaccination or Immunity Status in Employment Decisions (effective 05/03/23)
Share this article on LinkedIn
ComplianceHR offers the only on-demand, intelligent suite of compliance applications focused on helping companies address the ever-changing federal and state employment law requirements on minimum wage, overtime, independent contracting, and more.
We provide employers of all industries, sizes, and locations with solutions that empower employers to handle complex compliance issues with less time, cost, and complexity than traditional methods. The Navigator Suite simplifies employment law compliance, allowing you to streamline your compliance workflow in only a few simple clicks.
If you are not an existing client, we welcome you to register for a no obligation consultation with a compliance expert. After you’ve met with our compliance consultant, you can receive a free, 14-day trial to use all of the Navigator Suite applications. Register for a demonstration.